On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 08:57 +0100, MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK)
wrote:
> I'd hazard that that would be a lot more work than just picking up
> Nikita's work and moving forward.
> Cairo is a lot of dependency to pull in for a lightweight GUI...

None of the projects I'm now doing require the advanced graphic
capabilities  of Cairo, I just threw Cairo out as an answer to Nikita's
objections.

> If you have a fixed "kiosk-style" interface on an embedded system (I
> think that's what you indicate later on) then it's not entirely clear
> you actually need a WM at all, you can just draw your widgets in the
> "right place"... I have done this, it worked OK.
> FWIW, I also had a hacked up version of aewm that I used for a variant
> that needed more conventional "windows". Either way works.

The only feature of a window manager I wanted is the frame and window
decorations and possibly the ability to move some pop-up dialog boxes
with the pointer.  I've used Qt Embedded to do a GUI on Linux
framebuffer (not DirectFB) and it offers the option of running your
application as the window manager, that's the feature I want but in GTK
incorporating window manager features are frowned upon and I haven't
seen any features like that in FLTK.

> > > To use a font you can only load it from specified file.
> > Pango?
>
> Is that not overkill just to load a font? If your application is indeed
> a fixed kiosk-style interface, then your fonts and so forth are (almost)
> certainly set at build time, so simply loading from a known file is
> trivial and much easier than messing with PanGo.

I agree.  My fonts and graphics are loaded from files who's location are
hard-coded into the program and I think that's appropriate for this sort
of application.

Before I comment further I need to study the code.  I want to, starting
with Nikita code, complete a port of FLTK to DirectFB, something that is
useful to someone wanting to build a full desktop or like me that just
wants a full screen dedicated app.  Am I asking for too much? I have a
few projects that could pay for my time in this development.

Regards

__
Ormund