[..]
> I can understand your problem, but not exactly the example.
> It is obvious that virtual methods would help, but in your
> _example_ Fl_Widget::color() would be okay, wouldn't it?
>
> Unless you overloaded the color() method in your derived widget.
> Is this what you meant, or am I missing something?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant (sorry, I should have been
more clear).  When I've derived something from Fl_Group, changing
its color is likely to mean changing the color of 1 or more of
its components.  It's easy to implement that, but, as I said,
the caller can't get at it through Fl_Widget::color().

Thanks for listening :)
Stan