On 11 Mar 2010, at 18:51, Matthias Melcher wrote:

> I would be willing to put the time in, but I'd also have to rely on
> the other Core Devs. I'd suggest a special mailing list for a
> possible participant.

I'd help out where I could, but I can't promise to commit the time;
things are a bit tricky...

> I'd make the projects somewhat self-contained. Just bug fixing, or
> UTF8 support would be frustrating.

Agreed.

> So here are my suggestions (that I could get in before tomorrow
> night):
>
> - Fluff: this would be a new app at the side of Fluid. Fluid will
> be purely for interactive user interface creation. Fluff would do
> all the - um - fluff around developing apps: it could
>   * install FLTK correctly for non-makefile based systems
>   * manage the IDE files (move from Fluid)
>   * create new projects from scratch (and their IDE and Makefiles)
>   * create packages (a package can contain new widgets and uses the
> above IDE interface to install neatly into the users FLTK environment)
>   * install and remove packages
>   * online "shop" for packages (remember the Bazaar? Just much
> simpler for the end user)

Sounds interesting - but too big a job? I'm not sure, maybe it is
feasible.

> - image writing

Useful. I have code that is available as a starting point if anyone
wants it. Supports writing jpg and png, I use it often with fltk, but
it needs fltk-ified if it was to be part of the lib.

> - image reading from RAM

Matt, you already have this partly working?

> - Fl_Device for OpenGL

Seems good - but can a student do it while Manolo and Albrecht are
still working through the Fl_Device/Printer bits?

> - Fl_Device for scaling

This is for the "zoom" functionality, or...?

> - mouse pointer editor

Again, Matt, you have already have a starting point for this, I think?

> - Fl_Cavas widget and Paint test program

Yup. There used to be a fltk-based app "Anti-Paint" that might be a
good starting point for a Paint program, FWIW.

> - new fltk_sound library that wraps the audio calls in Blocks and
> Sudoku

To be honest, I always use portaudio.... But I guess we could add our
own.
Though I'm not *too* keen on "bloating" fltk with these added
functionalities.

> - new fltk_stream library that adds communication widgets like
> serial line and TCP/IP

Hmm, see comments above about "bloat"...
FWIW, I have some very primitive code for serial port access that
works OK, if anybody wanted it as a starting point, but I
deliberately went for the lowest common denominator, so it is not all
that capable.
It works fine for all that I've ever actually needed, mind you!

For TCP/IP, I just come back to BSD sockets. The code you write Just
Works everywhere, though I concede that it might not be the simplest
API...

> - and maybe a bunch of other widgets

Indeed!

I do wonder, as Duncan suggested, whether we could get someone to
build a prototype fltk-123 layer, to demonstrate what actually might
work? Would be useful to us, and might be a genuinely interesting and
challenging for the student. But impossible to judge whether it is
achievable - and there seems little point in setting goals that are
not achievable...