On 11.03.2010, at 22:11, imacarthur wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2010, at 18:51, Matthias Melcher wrote:
>>
>> I would be willing to put the time in, but I'd also have to rely on
>> the other Core Devs. I'd suggest a special mailing list for a
>> possible participant.
>
> I'd help out where I could, but I can't promise to commit the time;
> things are a bit tricky...

That would be great. I will need a backup admin to fill out the application.
Could you do that?

You would need to sign in here:
http://socghop.appspot.com/
and send me your "Link ID".

>> So here are my suggestions (that I could get in before tomorrow
>> night):
>>
>> - Fluff: this would be a new app at the side of Fluid. Fluid will
>> be purely for interactive user interface creation. Fluff would do
>> all the - um - fluff around developing apps: it could
>>  * install FLTK correctly for non-makefile based systems
>>  * manage the IDE files (move from Fluid)
>>  * create new projects from scratch (and their IDE and Makefiles)
>>  * create packages (a package can contain new widgets and uses the
>> above IDE interface to install neatly into the users FLTK environment)
>>  * install and remove packages
>>  * online "shop" for packages (remember the Bazaar? Just much
>> simpler for the end user)
>
> Sounds interesting - but too big a job? I'm not sure, maybe it is
> feasible.

I would cut that down to a minimum with the option of doing more if there is
time.

>> - image writing
>
> Useful. I have code that is available as a starting point if anyone
> wants it. Supports writing jpg and png, I use it often with fltk, but
> it needs fltk-ified if it was to be part of the lib.

Yes, this is relatively easy.

>> - image reading from RAM
>
> Matt, you already have this partly working?

Yes, but only for a single image format (jpeg) and not for Fl_Shared_Image

>> - Fl_Device for OpenGL
>
> Seems good - but can a student do it while Manolo and Albrecht are
> still working through the Fl_Device/Printer bits?

Yes, you may be right.

>> - Fl_Device for scaling
>
> This is for the "zoom" functionality, or...?

Exactly.

>> - mouse pointer editor
>
> Again, Matt, you have already have a starting point for this, I think?

Yes, but a full feature app could do so much more ;-)

>> - Fl_Cavas widget and Paint test program
>
> Yup. There used to be a fltk-based app "Anti-Paint" that might be a
> good starting point for a Paint program, FWIW.

Ah, yes, I remember.

>> - new fltk_sound library that wraps the audio calls in Blocks and
>> Sudoku
>
> To be honest, I always use portaudio.... But I guess we could add our
> own.
> Though I'm not *too* keen on "bloating" fltk with these added
> functionalities.

I know. It would mess up the Makefiles etc., and where do we begin and where to
stop. OTOH, this would be extremely light-weight. Probably less than a hundred
lines of code.

>> - new fltk_stream library that adds communication widgets like
>> serial line and TCP/IP
>
> Hmm, see comments above about "bloat"...

Again, yes, I know, and I agree that this is a problem. I have sample code that
implements widgets that give a visual feedback for all these features,
including basic controls. So it is truly a GUI wrapper around those functions.
Plus it is really an optional library. No need to link if not needed.

> I do wonder, as Duncan suggested, whether we could get someone to
> build a prototype fltk-123 layer, to demonstrate what actually might
> work? Would be useful to us, and might be a genuinely interesting and
> challenging for the student. But impossible to judge whether it is
> achievable - and there seems little point in setting goals that are
> not achievable...

OK, I have put that in the list of ideas. Maybe there is a taker for conceptual
work?

Matthias