>> Oh boy! For a terminal emulation, you need io streams (stdin, stdout,
>> stderr),
>> and means of asynchronous notifications.
>
>       Mmm, not sure the terminal emulator would handle that.. if cygwin
>       has its own character cooking and pseudo tty code, it would handle
>       all the weird ^U/^Z/^W stuff, and would simply echo the correct ANSI/tty
>       stuff needed, which is all the terminal emulator would have to handle.

    I guess it gets tricky  when your FLTK terminal emulator fires off
    the child process to run the shell or vi/emacs.. I know you can redirect
    the trivial stdio of a child process to the parent through pipes
    (similar to a bidirectional popen()), and it works well and is a bit
    of Win32 pipe and CreateProcess() code.

    But I'm not sure about /raw/ keyboard stuff.. like if the user hits
    Ctrl-S, or Ctrl-Pause: what should the FLTK program do with this event
    so that it gets inserted into the DOS console interface for the child?

    I imagine there's a way to push keyboard scan codes into the win32
    console's ring buffer, but I'm not sure.