On 21.01.2011 10:44, Greg Ercolano wrote:
> MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK) wrote:
>> See this howto
>> http://www.fltk.org/articles.php?L598
>
>       I've never used mingw, but I went over to http://www.mingw.org
>       to have a look to see what the deal is.
>
>       Not sure how things used to be done, but it seems more complicated now;
>       when I go to their download page, it takes me to:
>       http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

You don't need this anymore, it is now really much easier.

[ lots of stuff removed ]

>       Has anyone successfully installed mingw/msys lately (last 6 months),
>       and if so, maybe describe the 'shortcut' through the apparent maze?

Yes, I've just (yesterday) installed a brand new MinGW/MSYS. As you
noted, they have mingw-get now. This is officially alpha, but they
recommenend to use it already. As the name suggests ;), it is similar
to apt-get and has commands like 'mingw-get update' (the package list),
mingw-get install, remove, etc. It resolves dependencies, and it worked
for me OOTB. You can also upgrade an existing installation, e.g. with
mingw-get upgrade <package-name>.

The primary installation works with a Windows installer program called
mingw-get-inst.

The first step is to download the installer from
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinGW%20Installer/mingw-get-inst/>
and run it, select the packages (MinGW, g++ compiler, Development
Toolkit (includes MSYS)), and off you go...

I recommend to install 'mintty' (a rxvt replacement) to use as the
terminal program and 'man', once you have started the shell for the
first time (there is a shortcut in your program menu).

mingw-get install msys-mintty           # terminal program mintty
mingw-get install msys-man              # man pages

I also had to install

mingw-get install pthreads-w32

to make FLTK's threads demo working on my Win7 machine, although it
worked on another (XP) without that.

After this, FLTK can be compiled, and all runs smoothly (including
GL and threads).

Subversion is not available, AFAICT, but I am using the Cygwin
version, and you can use another Windows version for this.

Hint: you can run the MSYS/bash environment with mintty directly
from a desktop shortcut with this command in the shortcut:

C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash -l

(the last char. is a lowercase L).

As you can see from the path, there is only one root directory
C:\MinGW needed, and MSYS is now in a subdirectory. This makes it
much easier to move it around and install it in another directory.

I should probably write another HowTo article... (well, I did
already most of it above ;-))

Albrecht