On 03/20/12 02:29, MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK) wrote:
> That said, ISTR that it really only ever worked on the old
> SGI machines, which *nobody* has anymore (except maybe the
> one Greg uses as a fan-heater from time to time...)
>
> Or I may be wrong...

        No, I think you're right, nobody has SGI's anymore.   ;D

        Looking at configure, though I find it hard to understand,
        it seems to grep the output of 'xprop -root' for the string
        SERVER_OVERLAY_VISUALS to determine if overlays are supported.

        I just looked at my recent linux build of 1.3.x, and HAVE_OVERLAY
        was detected as 'off', and indeed there's no overlay strings in my
        machine's xprop output.

        Here's the HAVE_OVERLAY section from my linux/fltk1.3.x config.h
        indicating the possibly SGI-specific aspect of this flag:

/*
 * HAVE_OVERLAY:
 *
 * Use the X overlay extension?  FLTK will try to use an overlay
 * visual for Fl_Overlay_Window, the Gl_Window overlay, and for the
 * menus.  Setting this to zero will remove a substantial amount of
 * code from FLTK.  Overlays have only been tested on SGI servers!
 */

#define HAVE_OVERLAY 0