On 10 Nov 2012, at 16:37, Edzard Egberts wrote:

> Ian MacArthur schrieb:
>>
>> On 10 Nov 2012, at 10:46, Edzard Egberts wrote:
>>> So, how to solve the png.h problem, or how to build without using
>>> system files?
>>
>> Anyway, I tried two trees, one with the system png and one with the
>> local fltk png; both built just fine and appear to be working
>> correctly.
>>
>> I configured with:
>>
>> $ ./configure --enable-threads --enable-xft
>>
>> and with:
>>
>> $ ./configure --enable-threads --enable-xft --enable-localpng
>> --enable-localzlib
>>
>> In each case.
>
> One moment, I don't think, these cases are different, because the first
> line will auto recognize system libraries and use them. On my system
> second line leaves config unchanged.

Thats odd then; on my systems the second version causes makeinclude to be
changed and as a result I see the fltk built-in versions of the libs being
built and used.

The first line of course just pulls in the systems libs so the built-ins do not
get built at all.

>> What pnglib version does your system have? Mine appears to be 1.2.46
>> on the system and 1.2.40 in the fltk built-in pulled from svn.
>
> I think, that's it: I installed libpng-2:1.5.10-1 and now I see, there
> is a "Old version of libpng, needed to run old binaries",
> libpng10-1.0.59. I simply need to switch the library and it will work (I
> think).

Hmm, I would worry that 1.0.x would be too old, though. We are currently using
1.2.x, and IIRC the png API changed a bit between 1.0 and 1.2, though I may
well be talking nonsense of course!

> But because it works for fltk 1.3, I continue to be interested
> in how to ./configure --disable-localpng. Does this work for you?

Huh? What do you expect "--disable-localpng" to do though?
The default is to disable the built-ins (which is what that line would mean I
guess) and use the system libs, and that has always Just Worked for me on a
variety of platforms.

On some mingw/Windows builds I use the --enable-localpng and --enable-localzlib
options since most Windows boxes don't have png and zlib pre-installed
anyway... Don't often use that option on linux boxes though, but when I tried
it today for this test it appears to have worked right.

So... I'm not sure what is awry with your builds, but I'd expect the
--enable-localpng --enable-localzlib option to ignore the systems libs and use
the built-ins and that would then Just Work and all would be well?