On 11 Nov 2012, at 10:44, Edzard Egberts wrote:

> Now the main libraries are built, but there is a problem regarding fluid:
>
> Linking fluid...
> /usr/bin/ld: ../lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): undefined reference to symbol
> 'FcPatternAddDouble'
> /usr/bin/ld: note: 'FcPatternAddDouble' is defined in DSO
> /lib/libfontconfig.so.1 so try adding it to the linker command line
> /lib/libfontconfig.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
>
> This is not a problem to me (an old version of fluid works), but maybe
> this problem will also appear to other users.

Hmm, that does seem odd though - certainly I seem to be fine with the
fltk-1.1.x fluid that I build from svn on my ubuntu-12.10 test box...

FWIW, that box has libfontconfig.so.1.4.4 (and libfontconfig.a of course) in
the system folders (at /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ in this case) and the fluid
code appears to be linking against the .so and working normally, so I wonder if
maybe there's something awry in your build?

I guess a quick "make clean ; make" might be worth a shot though I doubt it
would really help!

Other than that, not sure what might be going wrong there - is it only fluid
that is borked? Other apps built with that fltk are OK? That seems really odd...