I'd love to get a sub-5-second boot working FluidSynth demo going. I'm
interested to work on this with somebody.

The problem with ultra-fast RPi booting is I'm not sure enough
drivers/services will be running for FluidSynth to really work. Here are
some fast-booting RPi claims:
- https://kevinboone.me/pi_minimal.html?i=2 - Truly minimal (3s) boot
project for Pi.
- https://www.furkantokac.com/rpi3-fast-boot-less-than-2-seconds/

Also saw there's an embedded FluidSynth project but I'm not sure how active
the project is, or of the compatibility with the latest cool dev boards
like the latest Teensy board. Also I think cool stuff like reverb may not
work on these.
- https://github.com/divideconcept/FluidLite

Here's something else interesting - tiny Linux-Compatible Kernel -
https://github.com/vvaltchev/tilck

And then I also thought this board could be ideal, it's a DSP audio
platform in a single board.
https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/01/25/electrosmith-intros-40-platform-for-creating-dsp-based-eurorack-modules/