Hi all,

We're getting started on designs and planning the work for a couple of new
sites here at the IDRC (the IDRC site https://idrc.ocadu.ca/ and a redesign of
the ILDH https://handbook.floeproject.org/), and we'd love to get some feedback
from you on which content management system you think would be best. Content on
these sites won't be changing too often, about once every month or two.

Some minimum requirements in no particular order:

  *   Content searching either built in or easily added and maintained
  *   Tagging and/or other metadata capabilities
  *   Ease of contribution for non-developers
  *   Potential for contributions from outside users (much like the Fluid Wiki
and Jira)
  *   Free (as in beer), and ideally FOSS
  *   Fully customizable in terms of markup and styling on a page-by-page basis
  *   Minimal intervention from an infrastructure perspective

We've been looking primarily at WordPress (https://wordpress.org/) and Netlify
CMS (https://www.netlifycms.org/).

My questions to each of you:

  *   Do you have any arguments for or against either of these two options?
  *   Do you have any other CMS's you would recommend checking out?
  *   Do you have any other advice?

Personally, I'm partial to Netlify CMS due to its seemingly lightweight setup,
performance and the potential for integrating Infusion if we would like any
features from there. It runs on the JAMstack, which means that server responses
will be much quicker (among other benefits). On the other hand, Netlify is
pretty fresh and finding support, plugins or articles on SO won't be as easy
while WordPress has been around for over 15 years and has a fairly healthy
support community.

Cheers and thanks,
Gregor