> syquest 135 is/was better to use and faster but zip became the standard.

Another example.  Why must we always settle for less?

> I still find the microphone handeling awkward.

www.minidisco.com has three stereo mics available.
They are all small and custom made which makes them a bit pricey but worth it.

The one I bought has two mics with clips attached to them joined to a single
miniplug.  I can clip each mic on my shoulders, belt / beltloops, shoes, etc.
Totally hands free.  I like walking around with my MD portable set in
pause/record mode, my headphones in my ears listening through the open circuit,
and the left and right microphones reversed.  That way I hear things on the left
which I see on the right and vice versa.

Myke