hi

you can purchase brand new paint cans at  housepaint stores, that sell to professional
housepainters [ ie not walmart / home depot type of stores]

here in Canada they cost about 3$ for 4 liter can [ maybe 1 gallon american ]. I buy
them often to store material like nails, or mix paints etc. Sturdy and stackable.

I'm sure if purchased in bulk, they'd be cheaper.

Someone mentioned plastic paint containers.  EEEEk..industrial non-food grade
plastics--  I'd bet those slowly leech nasty fumes, therefore everything in the box
would later SMELL of cancerigenic plastic a lot.

Richard