(Please add to the story wherever you see fit, add your name at the
front and post it.)

"Man Bites Dog" 42-page book made of fur, teeth, skin and bones

Kathy Forer, Roger Stevens, Michael Leigh, Alan fffo, badgergirl, Carol
Starr

The Story So Far

Fourteen wolverines and one lap dog chase a badger. But the
badger is too fast and burrows beneath a paintbrush stuck in a stone.
In the burrow are mushrooms and grain. The badger makes a broth
ambrosia of the green grain and mushrooms and is soon asleep.

The badger is dreaming that it was just a dream, there are no
wolverines or lap dog because the badger was really awakened by the
artist removing the paintbrush from the stone to begin painting for the
morning. Little does the artist realize that the badger is in the
burrow. Once the badger (a strange name for a badger some would say) is
reassured as to its safety and breakfast is under way in the burrow;
ambrosia of green grain and mushrooms with the added delight of mini
marshmallows!

The day is going well, but what was that
strange sound? Thunder and a police siren mix with snoring. The
badger jumps from his spot thinking the stone has imploded. When he
hears the rain on the stone above, he realizes the electricity is still
working, washes his face and soon falls back deep asleep.

Hours later, Once, the badger, is awakened by the noise of wood against
stone. It is night and the lap dog is yapping. The wolverines have
surrounded the stone and are chanting an incantation. The badger doesn't
breathe, not a whisker moves. Neither up nor down, although suspense is
acrostic. After a paws of several minutes the badger quickly whips out
his cross-stitched magic asbestos underpants and pulls them on
ferociously. Once flings open the serving hatch and grabs the vial of
sacred weasel water and makes a dot for the burrow entrance and
confronts the seething mass of writhing wolverines squirming around the
stone which is now glowing with a strange phosphorescent throb!

1

It was a dense night. Stumble patterns and brave yapping set apart the
party of owl elves and gnome mimics as they writhe and chase and
spurn the undergrowth around the latest beige badger silting. In the
brave distance behoves the strange and incandescent foreshadows of
wolverines and greenish melon lights upon the substantial forest fare.

Young Zonograph, the tallest owl elf snuffed his warps harp and
muttered - I can hear a badger. The badger is in trouble. I scents
wolverines. Hurry there is no stone unready ton roll upturned in this
lackadaisical pre-momentary of the word fandango.

Meanwhile, or to be more precisereiouseless, high on hill stood a
lonely man with a goathead, his fixedinterestrate stare
directeddyboyhoodlesservilely at the burning black belching smokestacks
of the town beyong the wolverine woods. The sound of a suddenly
snuffeforadicalcified warps harp, brought memories back for Ludwig Hat,
erstwhile butler and badger baiterribleedinglendervish of Vincent and
Cara Van Hire.

Ludwig stood immobile, imshelle and intexacoe, for Ludwig had been
brained by falling groceries, dropped from almost a mile overhead and
one mile and eight inches over shoulder, a result of the splitting of a
cheap carrier pigeon on it's way home. Forcing his gaze downward Ludwig
was horrified, not only had his part of the story not managed to settle
on a definite form, not only did it lack content but now to his disgust
he found that he had been rendereducededicateddyboyfriended by a
tangerine!!! He couldn't even get that right.

Ludwig crossed his eyes and dotted his teeth, relaxed and floated up,
through the roof of his own mouth. Long and complicated wordadditions,
he thought, canwearyoudownifyournot careful, and so he resolved to be
more carefulinfuture.

Win Cent the Magnificent and Cara, however, were seriously considering
calling Sister Meg and entering into the fray. Sister Meg O'Lomania was
after all acrostic champion frigidaire and good at getting badgers up
and down and out of trees (and wolverines out of toasters for that
matter.) Lap dogs she had no time for as their batteries always seemed
to run out in the middle of a sent bottle of enormous palcritude.

His eyes dilated and shuffled in the moonlight, his breathe came in
short pants, his coughs in a skirt and his trousers rolled up like
Venetian blinds caught in a mighty wurlitzer.

Mrs. Shufflefang caught sight of herself in a nearby polished knob of a
Milkman's portable pelmet crusher and she winced inwardly, tossing back
a mane of flaxen hair that was tied in a bun and covered in currants.
The badgers, for now there were five, all grabbed the reins of the
milkman's horse and whipped it into a gallop and then into a small tea
shop where it scattered several old ladies and a troupe of dwarves on
an outing.

Suddenly, Pequot Marmaduck threw a crumpet at Sister Meg. It caught her
with a ping in the frigidaire and she fainted straight away, smashing
the paw of the lap dog who was dreaming of heaven sent chumlaka. Cara
sprinkled Sister Meg and the lap dog each with half a gram of lemon
juice. Meg cried out "get me a toasted pineapple!" and the dog sniffed
the crumpet.

Ludwig had fallen onto the milk cart and the badgers were busy cleaning
the splashes from each other when seven wolverines slunk by and
whistled an old tune from the dark days when weasels were weasels and
fourpence was worth three and a half cents. The badgers had been
mistaken for minks! Finally, they could answer Young Zonograph's call
and they set out toward the southern phosphorescence, towing Mrs.
Shufflegang who had the fixedinterestrate card for gas and carrots for
the hybrid horse and roasted beast for themselves.

2

"What's all this, then!" Uncle Walt awoke with a tart. "Once?" he
yelled. "Where is that pesky badger?"
Carefully smearing the remains of his last bottle of bright orange nail
varnish into his hair, he feebly crawled out of the hole. Lulu,
meanwhile,
disappeared into a cravat.

"There's wild weasels in there, I tells ya.  I don't want to go to the
steak
house no more!"  Several of the badgers loitering around the enormous
bonfire giggled loudly. Once kept his head down. Uncle Walt in this
mood... best keep out of his way. A wolverine, hiding in a nearby
double-decker laundry basket chuckled quietly to himself. He had a
variety of chuckles but preferred the quietly one. Wait till I tell the
others, he thought to himself.

3

Later that same day, 3,000 red-headed women converged on the small
appliance department at St Macy's, home to the partridge of man's desire
and woman's loathing. There was a sale, you see. Yousee left the
apartment in a shambles. Tucking it under her badger, she moved the
entire affair slightly to the south of Turkey.
"What's all this then?!" shouted Blarney the turkey buzzard. "This
doesn't look like a chestnut to me, it looks more like a shrunken
head from the Ooompungokoonoo Indians of Skull Island!"

"It's the one I've been looking for " screamed the turkey buzzard as if
pole-axed, "For nearly 300 years our family have searched the seven seas
and thirteen ponds of Umpklah to find the sacred shrunken head of
Saatchi the Flame God - I can't belive you had it under
your badger all this time!"

"Neither did I" said Blarney with a withering smile. He had other smiles
but the withering one was his favourite.

As they sat contemplating this new find a strange and
eerie noise assailed their ears, Blarney decided to look within his
badger
for Turkey basting apparatus. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Blarney, the
Ooompungokoonoo Indians of Skull Island were busy making plans of their
own.
Lulu crawled out of the cravat and prepared breakfast for Uncle Walt.
All of
this activity occuring elsewhere soon caused poor Blarney to tire. He
decided to take a nap...

4

"What's all this, then!" Uncle Walt awoke with a tart. "Once?" he
yelled. "Where is that pesky badger?"
Carefully smearing the remains of his last bottle of bright orange nail
varnish into his hair, he feebly crawled out of the hole.
Lulu, the tart, looked at him disparagingly. She had other looks but
disparaging was her favourite. "You've been re-living the past again, as
though it was happening all over again," she said.

"Damn," Uncle Walt drawled. Where's that badger, Once?"
"I'm here," Once answered through the TemporalTimeGate (tm)
"If I've told you once, Once," Walt said, "I've told you..."
There was an almighty noise, a screech, a smidgeon, a thumpyclumpybumpy
existential, serious and yet soft-stockinet kind of stony
paintbrush-beset-by-wolverines kind of noise.
Uncle Walt pulled his cravat tighter and pulled his i-TimeDisplacer (tm)
from the folds of his thigh-fur. He punched in Zonograph, the owl-elf's
number.