On 2006 May 20, at 2:22 AM, Cecil Touchon wrote:

You say " it 'implies" the context of the original without including all of the words."

So are you saying that you would leave out anywords from a found phrase that has the offending letter and otherwise keep the other words?

No, you have to stop before you get to a word that has the following mesoletter.

The choice of how many wing words is just that - choice and this has been a bugaboo to some folks who'd always thought that Cage made NO choices, but he actually made quite a few choices in his compositions. For me, I think the ideal number of wing words is the minimum number that would convey a thought. If Madawg, for example, decided to write a mesostic with just single words, then there would be nothing "anti- mesostic" about it. A criteria *could* be that if you could successfully convey what you wanted using the minimum number of words - even NO wing words - then maybe this could be considered a well-done mesostic but, there are really no rules concerning this (except for the main rule). I'm more inclined to enjoy the beauty of how it actually looks on paper with the wing words as well as it's brief expression. There are some other beautiful forms that do this quite well too - the haiku, the autoku, etc...

Here's a 100% mesostic on "The Gettysburg Address" using LINCOLN (no "L" *OR* "I" between "L" and "I"):

                                equaL
                            so conceIved
                                   aNd
                                dediCated
                                   lOng
                                 fieLd
                               fittiNg

                             we shouLd do
                                  thIs
                           larger seNse
                                dediCate
                                hallOw this
                              struggLed
                                  coNsecrated

                                 worLd
                                   wIll
                                    Note
                                 it Can
                                   fOrget
                                    Last
                             devotioN

                                highLy
                                  dIed
                                   Nation

Rod

---
Now playing: Greg Davis/Steven Hess - 042203(05)