I guess the question really is Peter, how big is this data base your concerned about. What may be 'big' or 'small' is very relative. It could be big on the number of records or the number of files, or the number of scripts etc etc. The largest data base I develop would have more than a million records with 150 layouts (20 files in the old 6 system) and 400 scripts. I didn't consider that to be too big to tackle to upgrade to 8.5 and was much happier after I'd completed it. Obviously, the number of records is of no consideration only the layouts (files) and scripts are of interest. I'm only a very small operator in the scheme of things so I guess its all, as I said, 'relative' to your circumstances.

Lee Mills

Peter Payne wrote:
Oops, sorry about that, darn iPhone sent that before I was ready. Anyway, I currently have invoices, contacts, products etc as separate databases. If I put everything into one database, the scripts menu will be unified, i.e. will show one script menu throughout all layouts, right? That might be the biggest Challenge in redesigning things. Currently, I can have command 1 do a certain script when contacts.fp5 is open, another one for when invoices is open, etc.

You've got a friend in Japan
http://www.jlist.com


On Jul 23, 2007, at 4:23 PM, Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Peter,
My answer, in part, is that I've rebuilt nearly all my client's previous version 6 solutions into version 8.5. I don't think, from a visual point of view they have even noticed the difference apart from the obvious use of 'tool tips' and other minor user issues. I don't really understand your comment on keeping the 'old' type of files separate from a 'use' point of view. It's much more efficient to have it in a one container case than many on almost all matters, however, I have found one minor annoying problem with the move to the one file for all. In that if I wanted to change a 'file' , like in 6, I could just modify that file in the office then drop it back into the client's solution when done. Obviously, having to import any additions in that time. That sort of thing cannot be done now. In all other respects 8.5 is much better. Regarding the script matter, I move the scripts up and down the script file under the associated layout ('file') heading. In that way you know where to look for particular scripts when referring. Its a big help as your script file will now be enormous. Hope this helps. I have had to go back to modify a couple of old version 5/6 solutions where the client doesn't want to change and its a complicated shift to put the brain back into gear for those occasions.

Lee












--

Reply via email to