Hi,
I think I've been keeping up with this thread. All I can say is, it
seems to me to it would have been quicker and more efficient to have
rebuilt the program in 8.5 in the first place. Giving the developer a
good grounding in 8.5 while finishing up with a much cleaner and better
product. I'd tried to go down the upgrading of old solutions but once
I'd rebuilt the first one in 8 it was easy and much quicker to do that
with all the solutions rather than messing around trying to update using
the 6 files.
Lee Mills
Peter Payne wrote:
Question, so is it possible to "clean" a file (make a new, clean, copy
of) with MDM? Like the "recover" we've always wantes? Or just read in
data and analyze? This would make a big difference in deciding whether
to spring for the product ad I move from FM6 to 8.5.
You've got a friend in Japan
http://www.jlist.com
On Jul 20, 2007, at 2:02 PM, Geoff Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
James from New Millenium (makers of MetaData Magic) contacted me
offering to help troubleshoot problems that MDM may have caused in
the file I mentioned. (How's that for responsive?)
I want to clarify that I don't think that MDM caused any damage to
our file, rather it may have exposed corruption that was already
there, or it may be a complete coincidence. Judging their product on
a file that has been recovered several times in the last 10 years and
is certain to have structure corruption is hardly fair.
geoff
On Jul 19, 2007, at 7:28 AM, Geoff Graham wrote:
I can corroborate this a bit. After cleaning an FM6 file with MDM,
it no longer recovers cleanly, restoring many long-ago deleted
fields. I can't say for sure that MDM did it but I've been doing
this for 10 years and haven't seen it before. Circumstances have
postponed conversion to FM7 format, so for now we have to live with it.
I wrote an applescript to automate the cleaning of these references
in the FM7 define file references dialog; setting them all to simple
relative paths. Much less tedious that way.
geoff
On Jul 19, 2007, at 6:12 AM, Winfried Huslik
--