I won't attempt to answer the PAM stuff since I'd be better off listening
when it comes to that.

As for the ssh/firewall question, what are you running on the Linux
firewall?  Is it Linux 2.4 kernel?  If so, what are your settings for
idle-connection timeout?
This can be checked/set in some kernels by using the "file"
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/timeout_established.  In Mandrake 8.1 it is set to 8
minutes (480 secs).   Caldera's COL3.1 does not seem to have this available
for viewing or changing in their 2.4.2 kernel.

    Two questions which I hope will prove sufficiently exciting.

<SNIP>

    The second is, I have set up a Linux router on a 486, using
masquerading.  My secure shell connections *through* it get dropped after 5
minutes or so of inactivity, but when I go through our other proxy (Win2k)
they stay connected indefinately.  Does anyone know what makes it drop the
connection?