>     The first one is that I have set up an NIS server which uses a
> non-standard passwd/shadow/group file (/var/yp/<domain>/whatever).  I'm
> trying to get PAM to use it to (for the passwd command, useradd, radiusd,
> etc).  I've been hacking away at pam_unix, making it accept parameters in
> /etc/pam.d/* that choose the file name.  Is there an easy way to do this
> that I am missing?

I think what you're missing the difference between PAM and NSS.  PAM
provides authentication, NSS provides name service (distributed
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/hosts, /etc/group, etc).  First of all, a
passwd file in /var/yp/... is a very standard place, for an NIS (aka YP)
server.  You need to configure your workstations (and NIS server too), to
use their NIS clients when getting user information.  That amounts to
changing some lines in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  You probably have a line that
says something like "passwd: files".  You'd want to change that to
"passwd: nis files" instead.  All of this has absolutely nothing to do
with PAM.  In fact, the standard PAM authentication module already has
built-in support for NIS.

I suggest getting a good book on NIS (perhaps NSS and PAM too).

I also suggest you use ANYTHING but NIS.  NIS+ and LDAP are infinitely
better when it comes to the security aspects of name service.

--
t. charles clancy <> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <> www.uiuc.edu/~tclancy
coordinated science laboratory <> university of illinois