> To be specific, here are the three switches that affect the ABI:
>
> * per-object metadata (enables GC, introspection, safety, etc.)
> * multimethods (requires metadata)
> * concurrency (requires metadata; enables async messaging, STM)
>
> I view these features as rather fundamental and easy to coordinate.  I
> intend to implement metadata and multimethods in a thread-safe manner,
> so that there will be no difference in their implementation when
> concurrency is toggled (or, say, pthreads is used directly by the
> application).
>
> Thanks for making the effort to reply.  I value your opinion and
> analysis because it helps me clarify exactly what I'm trying to
> accomplish.

I'm curious to see what your prototypes of Ocean will look like. In my
Church/State implementation I have implemented a low-level (C like)
language and a seperate high-level language (in COLA style). Other
systems like this that I am aware of usually use a "pidgin" language
with a slightly different syntax and semantics to be able to compile to
C or an executable (RPython, prescheme, slang). I'm interested to see if
you can achieve the mixture of dynamism and C compatibilty within the
same source language.

What language will you write your compiler in? Will you use C for the
runtime?

On another note, have you been following Ian's work on jolt3? Do you
have any updates or insights to add to your earlier summary?

John