I'm not entirely sure why the idea of pattern expressions and meta-translators
wasn't an awesome idea.

If expressing an idea cleanly in a language is possible, and expressing that
language in another language clearly and cleanly is possible, why is it not
possible to write a tool which will re-express that original idea in the second
language, or any other target language for that matter?

I thought this development of a meta-translator was not only one of the FUNC
goals, but one that had for the most part been at least completed?

Julian.