Hello Alan,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> At Apple, besides Fabrik and Playground (several versions), there was
> MacPal and Constructo
> There was (unimplemented) "the hopping curriculum" which used a visual
> syntax
> Tableau was yet another "before-after" visual production language (which
> eventually became StageCast). All these go back to SNOBOL, and AMBIT (and
> its graphical manifestation AMBIT-B at Lincoln Labs).

After reading the little bit of history on the Dylan/Ralph/Newton system
that was done at Apple in the early 90s, I have wanted to find out more
about it for quite some time.

*Mikel Evins about the Lisp-based Newton OS
*http://lispm.dyndns.org/news?ID=NEWS-2004-08-14-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK8

Particularly the bit about frame systems:

It had a frame system used to implement a knowledge base that stored things
like prototypical Person and Place and Date objects, and supported fuzzy
comparisons. The so-called "IA" ("Intelligent Assistant") subsystem used
these frames so that it could guess things like the fact that when you write
"Joe" you probably mean "Joseph Smith" or "Josephine Baker" from your
address book.

Recently, I started reading the chapters on Logic Programming in SICP and
tried to learn more about Prolog and Frames. It surprised me to see
something so "theoretical" used in a consumer-facing product, even though it
ultimately failed.

Alan, do you know more about these systems, and how they were put together?

Z-Bo, sorry if I'm hijacking your thread.

--
Duncan.