From: John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com>
To: Fundamentals of New Computing <fonc@vpri.org>
Sent: Wed, April 6, 2011 10:49:41 AM
Subject: Re: [fonc] visual environments created by present/former VPRI staff

I've many books on visual programming.  I'll make a list soon of what I have.

I am mostly blown away by how difficult it is to ramp-up knowledge
about this domain.  Even typing in the phrase into Amazon requires
sifting through pages of search results and wondering what applies.

As for spreadsheets like the Analyst being characterized as "visual
programming" - my only source of info is the Scientific American
article on VPRI's website. I am mostly stunned at how commmercial
datagrid vendors completely overlook the need to specify a
fine-grained object model. Instead, it is a data-bound grid object
that does not structurally isolate common variabilities (e.g. from,
groupby, where and select; infinite drilldown and drill-across with
polymorphic Drill override for separating reduction and control scope;
cellular constraints for pushing and pulling values). These datagrids
also force the data-bound object to shares its persistence
information. Likewise, commercial spreadsheet APIs like Actuate
e.SpreadsheetDesigner are an abomination.

I showed Skeleton to a datagrid product manager at Xceed and his
reaction suggested innocence and not-knowing any "competition" outside
his Windows WinForms/WPF/Silverlight/ASP.NET traget market. I've
possessed the same innocence, so I was happy to constructively
criticize his Silverlight datagrid.

Duncan,

No worries. Stay curious and share.