I'm asking myself how relevant the projects I hack on are in this context.
Others probably are too. Of the stuff that didn't disappear into the
commercial void, recently it's been mostly Smalltalk for me, and FONC is not
about Smalltalk; Smalltalk is almost a footnote here, I think.

Without a doubt, the only project I've worked on thus far that even begins
to scratch the surface of this subject is Cuis. I'm not a researcher, so I'm
inclined toward systems that I can use today, which adds a bit of
interesting tension to our approach. Basically it means that I am not
currently in a position to "burn the disk packs," as I intend to make a
living with those disks.

So we're starting with what we've got and whittling our way down to the
smallest system that gives us the leverage that we already have. I was
surprised to find in some cases that I was able to add features and still
end up with less code than what I found when I got involved just by
refactoring as I went. It's been a wonderful meditation, a much more
intentional working style than what I experienced in industry.

The end goals, though, are similar. Personal computing in a much smaller
bag, etc. If folks took a look at

http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html

and said "yes, a note about this belongs on the FONC wiki" I would gladly do
the touch typing to make it happen.

I think the nascent hardware project that seems to be emerging before me may
make interesting material for the FONC wiki, but it will be some time before
that yields anything of interest beyond discussion. I'm doing library
science right now, gathering what people before me were able to learn. I
should really add a list

Casey Ransberger