Yikes! I've been lured too far off topic.

Putting aside whether graphics or maps are awe-inspiring, or breath taking,
or of another rare quality, the relevant issue is shifting the creativity
burden over to the computer while:
* supporting human direction at whatever level-of-detail the human is
concerned with
* achieving a quality such that the human doesn't feel the need to be
concerned with the lower levels of detail
* significantly enhancing productivity - i.e. actual quantity of
acceptable-quality elements

I personally believe that generative grammars (
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4012) hold the most promise for these
purposes - easy to extend and constrain and abstract. Flexible, like
mad-libbing a map. I suspect that grammars would also serve as a useful
`genome` for genetic programming models.

As note, though, existing technologies are already well proven - e.g. knobs
and dials and seeded fractals.

Feedback from users was suggested, but doesn't obviate need for a theory to
actually utilize this feedback.

It might be possible to use `simulated runs` to help select maps. For
example, run bots on a shooter map to judge fairness.

Does anyone else have suggestions for how we might pursue the goal of
`collaborative creativity`?

Regards,

Dave