Right you are. Centralised search seems a bit silly to me.

Take object orientedism and apply it to search and you get a thing where each 
node searches itself when asked...  apply this to a local-focussed topology (ie 
spider web serch out) and utilise intelligent caching (so search the localised 
caches first) and you get a better thing, no?

Why not do it like that? Or am I limited in my thinking about this?

Julian

On 02/03/2012, at 4:26 AM, David Barbour wrote:

> 
> 
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Martin Baldan <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think it was Julian, in message:
> 
> http://vpri.org/mailman/private/fonc/2012/003131.html
> 
> BTW, I'm having a hard time trying to find who said what in this mailing 
> list. Maybe I'm missing something, I feel  a bit silly, but here's the 
> problem:
> 
> _ Apparently, Google can't search this mailing list, I guess it's because of 
> its private nature. For instance, the query:
> 
> google site:http://vpri.org/mailman/private/fonc/2012/thread.html
> 
> shields no results.
> 
> 
> _ I can search e-mails for keywords in my Gmail account, but when I find one, 
> I don't know what message number it is. I only see the date and time.
> 
> _ The mailing list web interface lets me arrange messages by date, but it 
> doesn't show me the date of each message in a column.
> 
> So what should I do?
> 
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
> 
>  
> 
> As for centralization, I don't think you can avoid some degree of natural 
> centralization of trust. For instance, I tend to trust the VPRI people when 
> it comes to programming-related theory and ideas. Am I giving them too much 
> power? ;)
> 
> What should be avoided is single points of failure in infrastructure. I 
> should be able to decide whom to trust, without artificial limits imposed by 
> the technology.
> 
> Best,
> 
>  -Martin
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> fonc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> fonc mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc

_______________________________________________
fonc mailing list
[email protected]
http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/fonc

Reply via email to