On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Clinton Daniel <clinton...@yahoo.com.au>wrote:

> The other side of that coin is burdening users with a bunch of new
> terms to learn that don't link to existing human concepts and words.
> "Click to save the document" is easier for a new user to grok than
> "Flarg to flep the floggle" ;)
>
> Seriously though, in the space of programming language design, there
> is a trade-off in terms of quickly conveying a concept via reusing a
> term, versus coining a new term to reduce the impedance mismatch that
> occurs when the concept doesn't have exactly the same properties as an
> existing term.

Yeah. I've had trouble with this balance before. We need to acknowledge the
path dependence in human understanding.

My impression: it's connotation, more than denotation, that interferes with
human understanding.

"Naming is two-way: a strong name changes the meaning of a thing, and a
strong thing changes the meaning of a name." - Harrison Ainsworth (@hxa7241)

Regards,

Dave

--