Yeah, Martin is always quite good at explaining these things...

I found most of his works quite confirming.

The trouble seems to be (and this is an issue I have with computers) as Alan
points to... (but perhaps broader than he intended)... Optimisation should be
separated from Intent Expression.

Higher level languages are, by definition, to aid humans in understanding - and
yet they are themselves not able to be decoded / de-composited.

For CRAP's sake, we use the word "code" to talk about programming... but that's
not what it should be... imagine a world of layered information processing
systems... all dealing with a tiny slice... all smalltalk-like compiled down to
optimised systems behind the scenes...(ie on the fly compilation and
optimisation)...

At its most useful, each "system" should be a machine that uses its own
language, defined for inspection in the system itself... and explains its
requirements... each tiny bit of code should be expressed in no more than a
paragraph.

This would then engender two things:
- infinite pedagogic inspection, down to the "bare metal"
- infinite accessibility, because things would be separated into their proper
detail scope

One of the troubles seems to be that people don't seem to feel that you can
engineer this into a "language"  or process (for want of a better term).

So we end up with extremely fragile system such as SmallTalk (when I first
tried it, I broke my windows... I didn't know what to click, and I had to
"STOP" everything, and not save changes to the world because I ended up in some
context I had no idea about).

As system designers, I think we could learn a fair bit from game designers...

Blizzard / Diablo III for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzhoGX_7uFY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In particular, the comment "At Blizzard, we don't like standalone tutorials
very much... we don't like people showing up and giving you a wall of text...
we want you to learn to play the game... by playing it"

The equivalent of a wall of text to read would be learning a programming
language... ideally programming is fun... the fun part is when you get the
computer to do what you want it to do. Programming languages stand in the way
of doing this. Ideally programming a computer should be MORE fun than playing a
video game (more fun because it should be as fun as playing a game with the
added advantage of being useful in the "real world", too).

Thinking about ToyLog... as an extremely tiny toy version of a programming
language, or TileScript as a first step towards having a proper non-text-based
programming language. Seriously guys, it's 2012... why is it even possible that
I can make syntax errors any more?

What Blizzard and many other game shops have been doing for a long time is
building the learning into the game itself...  "Hardcore Games For Everyone Is
What Blizzard Does"... they were talking about how they bring EVERYONE up to
the level of hardcore gamer (that's to say someone who's keenly interested in
gaming)... they do this through a slow ramp up process (actually it's as fast
as you want to go)... and this is what language designers need to do.

Anyway enough of me ranting. I gotta go do some stuff so that I can build these
systems I keep ranting about.

Julian