AI is not necessary for self-organizing systems. You could use a lot of
independent, small constraint solvers to achieve equivalent effect. But
machine learning could make finding solutions very efficient and more
stable. I've been considering such techniques to help replace use of
stateful programming, since avoiding state where possible will result in
simpler systems. I discuss this here:
http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/stability-without-state/

bringing s-words to a pen fight