I would say that 'life' as we know, and understand, it has 'chosen'
robustness and redundancy instead of efficiency.  It doesn't matter how
efficient you *were* if one glitch kills you.  I used quotes are because I
am anthromorphizing evolution.  It seems to me that some of the ideas here
are approaching the same ideas ... glom together stauff that works, even if
it not the most efficient solution, but good enough.  Choose you goals
wisely.

David