Jaewoo Kim wrote:

> After that, with more experiments I got convinced that
> freetype modules make the problem.

> My guess is TRUE?

No.  FT2 is not at fault here.

Xft calls FT2's
    FT_Load_Glyph(FT_Face face, FT_UInt  glyph_index, FT_Int load_flags)
with load_flags set to 0 (at least in XFree86 4.1.x).  I remember Keith
was saying if you set the load_flags to FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP for now, you will
be able to render at those sizes with the problematic font, but you won't
be able to see the embedded bitmap glyphs of it.  He propably will have the
right fix in the next release.  I guess the right fix is that if
anti-aliasing is on, then NO_BITMAP; otherwise, use embedded bitmap
glyphs.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Since I don't want to use embedded bitmap font and don't want the hinting,
I did something even more radical, that is in FT2, add
    load_flags |= FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING | FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP
at the very beginning of the function FT_Load_Glyph().  It is only my
preference and is not recommended.  But I only need to recompile FT2, no
recompilation of XFree86.  I always need to recompile FT2 anyway because
I should turn on byte code interperter.

Regards,

Yao Zhang