On Wednesday 10 October 2001 05:13, levan shoshiashvili wrote:
[...]
|   hello sergej
|   that's nice . i'll check fonts in few days.
|   As far as i know, if some "author" have made ttf font and someone else
|   "edited" ttf font, "author" can prove that font "belongs" him, since he
|   holds soucers i.e. type1 "variants" of the font. glyphs
|   are described as 3rd degree equations in type1 and as 2nd degree
| equations in TTF. maybe in this sence we can distinguish "binary" and
| "source".

Type1 can't be called as "sources" for TrueType fonts, no way!
Note that Arial and Times New Roman, licensed by Microsoft from Monotype, *do
not exist* in PostScript Type1 format!
Copyright issues are different per country.
AFAIK in US you can't copyright outlines (but you can copyright *hinted*
outlines, as they contain code; not sure here about TTF, as they have just
OpCodes, but PS Type1 have real PS code!)

Situation is different in other countries.
To my best knoledge, you can copyright outlines in Germany and here, in
Russia.

Conclusion: to make font free, you can take existing outline (like Helvetica
or Arial), strip all hinting information, hint it yourself or use
auto-hinter, and put it online in US under different name. But you will be
not able to distribute such font in Germany!
>From other side, to be absolutely patent-free , you need to draw own outline.
Than you can distribute it in any country.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)