Around 3 o'clock on Nov 30, "Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> Just as an example, would it make sense to have xfs automatically
> look at all the dirs in its config, and have
> mkfontdir/ttmkfdir/etc. code built in?

That's pretty much what Xft does -- you *can* build a system-wide cache
file in each font directory, but if you don't bother, Xft will manage with
a per-user cache file in each home directory.  So, with Xft, it really can
be as simple as dropping fonts in a directory.

As the font configuration moves out of Xft and into a separate library, it
might eventually be reasonable to consider switching the core server to
using that mechanism so that a single font configuration can be truely
shared by all font consumers.  We would get better XLFD matching for free,
too :-)

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        SuSE, Inc.