Around 12 o'clock on Dec 1, Brian Stell wrote:

> > Any system not using X for graphics.
>
> Under what conditions would such an app want notification
> that new X fonts are available?

The font configuration mechanism is designed to be used by all font
consumers in the system; printer drivers, web-page graphics builders, etc.
It's not an X-specific library.  Building yet another font configuration
system that supports only X (or only one X application for that matter) is
not at all what I have in mind.

> > Plus, the font installer itself will likely not be an
> > X application as it would want to be able to run on
> > servers without a display.
>
> Under what conditions would such an app want notification
> that new fonts are available?

It must perform the notification service, or something will be forced to
poll.

> Fonts are a server side (read: remote client) issue if Xft
> shares with the X server / X font server. Of is Xft planning
> to drop support for these?

I thought we were discussing mechanisms suitable for use with client-side
fonts.

A mechanism for notifying of server-side font configuration changes could
indeed be built using existing X tools.  It's a bit tricky to use property
changes, as there's only one window guaranteed to exist and you really
don't want every application requesting PropertyNotify events -- there are
a *lot* of properties on the root window that change all of the time.

The notification mechanism could be built into xset (and other apps that
modify the X font path).

> > One can modify the X server's font path to point at a
> > directory controlled by the current user.
>
> Which is fine as long as we do not care to share fonts
> between users.

You can't have it both ways -- either the user has administrative rights
to modify the system font configuration, in which case they have rights to
modify the X related font configuration, or they don't.  Two separate
cases that must be handled differently.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team