Markus Kuhn Wrote:
>> But every glyph would have to be sent over the wire as a pixmap, every time
it's
>> drawn.  Performance would be so bad, particularly over the wire, that it
would
>> be as good as broken...  or am I missing something?
>
>It is just what xdvi, acroread, ghostview, and many other text display
>tools with client-side font engines have done all the time.

Exactly.

>What's the schedule for getting RENDER into the X11 standard and
>Sun's X servers?

As Keith knows, he will need to bring it to the standards task force for review.
Sun will adopt it some time after X.org approves it as a standard extension,
probably it the next major release of Solaris after that, or in an update
release, if the market requires it.

-steve

Steve Swales
Senior Manager, Platform Globalization Engineering
X.Org Chairperson
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
2515 North First Street, MS USJC07-201
San Jose, CA 95131