On Saturday 15 December 2001 02:37, Keith Packard wrote:
> I'm also planning on doing anti-aliasing for TrueColor visuals; that will
> require a round trip per string to fetch the destination drawable
> contents, render the string and retransmit the updated image.  I believe I

So I guess you'll be transferring XImages back and forth, which is cool,
unless you have to do alot of this. I wish it was possible to cache
destination drawable contents on the client. At the moment it is only
possible if you assume that you are the only one changing it. Unfortunately
its not always the case and especially in case of above mentioned text
drawing. What is missing is the mechanism to relay the fact that drawable
has changed from server to all interested clients.

So here is the idea - add
new event as part of render extention, which when selected on window (pity we
cant select events on pixmaps ) will be sent to client, whenever drawable
contents changes. Its not an ideal solution, but the only other alternative I
can think of, would be to add request, that would return last modification
time of the drawable.

Things like that would also be usefull when doing transparency via background
pixmap of None, displaying scaled down images of apps in the Pager,
displaying content of the window on some other server ( I think there is a
tool called tv...something that does it by snapping shots at regular
intervals of time consuming quite alot of bandwidth this way ).

> can do this asynchronously with existing Xlib mechanisms to eliminate the
> latency problem from conventional implementations; I've done similar
> things with GetProperty when designing a remote file system on top of the
> X protocol.

asynchronous way sure helps.

Also while we are at it, here is another idea - allow text to be texturized.
Since text can be viewed as simply an alpha-channel - it could easily be used
to combine some texture with background. Really nice feature that is. I've
been enjoying it with libAfterImage, and it would really be cool to see it in
official toolkit. Merely a suggestion though.

> Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab

Regards
Sasha Vasko