YS> Red Hat will use a updated ttmkfdir in the next release, we
YS> updated the ttmkfdir to FreeType2 and also added some other CJK
YS> releated features(like TTCap), and it uses system encodings.dir as
YS> default to recognize font encodings.

Mkfontscale does all of that except for TTCap (which I won't
implement).  The main advantage of mkfontscale is that it uses the
very same encoding database as the FreeType backend -- which ensures
utmost consistency between the two.

YS> Another thing is we really see some real needs of TrueType
YS> embedded bitmap feature support in mainland China at the moment,
YS> don't know if you have any plan to add this to the X freetype
YS> backend?

It is my understanding that this happens automatically if you use
FreeType 2; please correct me if I'm wrong.

                                        Juliusz