JC> I just realized that there is a significant difference with the new
JC> ft2 backend.  I've lost underlining in mozilla.

Juliusz> Please check the values of the UNDERLINE_POSITION and
Juliusz> UNDERLINE_WIDTH properties (xlsfonts -ll -fn 'foo').

With Georgia, UNDERLINE_POSITION is O(-PIXEL_SIZE/10) and thickness
is O(PIXEL_SIZE/20).  Other ttf and otf fonts seem to be the same.

With type1 fonts, the UNDERLINE_POSITION is O(PIXEL_SIZE/10).  I
presume the sign is then the problem. ... ...  Yup.  The underlines
reappear when I choose a type1 font.  I thought I tested that, but
obviously I didn't do so thoroughly. :(

-JimC