Around 18 o'clock on Jun 20, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> Not directly, no, but there's nothing that prevents us from abusing
> the OTF spec and adding a private ``XF86'' table.  (Table names are
> restricted to 4 bytes, and tables starting with a capital are
> private.)

Seems like a good plan.

> If you want to experiment, I believe that pfaedit can generate such
> beasts.  If you decide that's the way to go, I'll be glad to cook a
> standalone and GPL-free bdftootf utility and implement support in the
> core fonts system.

I'm trying to think of a reason not to replace the core fonts with this
format.  We'd continue to support .pcf, but would build .ttf files by
default and could provide a pcf->ttf conversion program easily enough.

It sounds like the right direction, I'll want to think about it a bit
before making the plunge.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab