As TTF font may contain serveral naming tables, which name is picked
always causes me a lot of trouble.

1.  Currently, fontconfig simply take FT_Face's family_name as a font's
    family name.  FreeType 2 API says FT_Face's family_name is an ASCII
    string and recently FreeType 2 even changes any character not alpha-
    numeric to '?'.  Now, several fonts I have are listed as "????" by
    fontconfig, mozilla, etc, which makes them essentially useless.  Also,
    when filling FT_Face's family_name, FreeType 2 favors Unicode naming
    table but the conversion to '?' makes things much worse.

    These may not be fontconfig's problem but since FreeType 2 has APIs
    to access any naming table in the font, it is not FreeType 2's problem
    either.  The way I solve this problem is to change FreeType 2's convertion:
    Instead convert non-ASCII Unicode name to '?', convert it to UTF-8.
    At least it works for me.

2.  I cann't find a way to list aliases.  FcFontList() lists physical
    font only.  When I checked pango, it hard-coded "serif", "sans-serif"
    and "monospace" in order to get them listed.  What if we add "cursive"
    and "fantacy" in fonts.conf?  It is better to have something like
    FcFontListAlias().  These way, we can not only see a few standard
    generic family names, we can alse see all the alias names even in
    different languages.  For example, I'd like to see "serif" as "Song",
    "sans-serif" as "Hei", and "cursive" as "Kai" in Chinese.

Regards,

Yao Zhang