Around 16 o'clock on Jul 12, Yao Zhang wrote:

> These may not be fontconfig's problem but since FreeType 2 has APIs
> to access any naming table in the font, it is not FreeType 2's problem
> either.  The way I solve this problem is to change FreeType 2's convertion:
> Instead convert non-ASCII Unicode name to '?', convert it to UTF-8.
> At least it works for me.

I'd like to use UTF-8 if possible; is there a way to get the UTF-8 value
from FreeType without changing that library?  I'm sure they have a good
reason for hiding the non-ASCII characters.

> 2.  I cann't find a way to list aliases.  FcFontList() lists physical
>     font only.

That is by design.  The essential problem is that many family names are
registered trademarks, presenting these to the user when they are used
only as alias names would be a trademark violation -- essentially we'd be
advertising the presense of a trademarked font name which would then go
and match some other font.

We were allowed to make fontconfig aliases between the Lucidux and Luxi
families because of this.

If you can think of a way to reconcile these two requirements, please
suggest it.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab