Around 21 o'clock on Jul 12, Owen Taylor wrote:

> I think it's important that it's clear that FT_FAMILY is not localized
> and is always the English name if there is one;

Ok.  That means applications listing fonts will always see the English
names unless I also build code to save all of the localized names in the
font configuration database.

> I think it's useful if it corresponds to face->family_name as frequently
> as possible.

I'm not sure that's necessary, and placing this restriction on the
implementation would mean a lot more work.

I'll add transcoding for apple-roman names.  My intent is to prefer
english names, and failing that, to choose the first entry in a known
encoding.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab