On Wednesday 01 August 2001 01:08, Darren Munt wrote:
> > But you're right - nobody should be using the processor in production.
> > Not yet. When we think it's ready we'll say so.
>
> I know we do so at our risk, but we have been using v0.18 FOP in a
> production situation (albeit a low-load, non-critical one) for a week now.
> Apart from a minor performance problem (discussed previously), and a couple
> of quirks that we had to work around in the xml:fo, it suits our needs very
> nicely in that:
>
> 1. The output renders nicely
> 2. The file size is smaller than we achieved using a commercial product
> (not one mentioned anywhere here)
> 3. The users are very happy with the output
> 4. It didn't cost us the equivalent of 2 months salary to buy a license
>
> I have FOP running in a Windows 2000, IIS, Visual Basic environment using
> MSXML to do the XSLT processing. I'm certainly looking forward to future
> versions, but we are extremely pleased with the results to date.

To be honest I (and I would assume the other developers) are pleased that
there are early adopters. We are not so much trying to discourage production
use as we are trying to discourage _uninformed_ production use. In order to
do that, though, what is necessary are frequent and blunt warnings. :-)

The points you mention are pretty persuasive, too. As you say, if you know
what FOP doesn't do, or doesn't do quite right, then there are workarounds.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

--
Fairly Senior Software Type