2 more cents...

I am using FOP in production.

We have a major problem with performance, but have a working app with
bad performance beats no app.  Generating 200 page reports uses GBs of
memory and 3 to 10 minutes of a single CPU on a quad 500 PIII.  Our
document is a single table.  The header has SVG column headings; the
column headings are rotated 90 degrees.  Profiling the VM indicates
significant time spent in the graphics toolkit.  Short reports, less
then 10 pages work great and the users are very happy with them.

I haven't tried to fix it recently, but we did have a problem with rows
of the table breaking across pages.

Joe