<big snip>

$ The evaluation version does not include the API
$ documentation: it is meant
$ to let people assess formatting quality, memory footprint and
$ performance.
$ In our view, detailed knowledge of API is not necessary for making a
$ purchase
$ decision.

Well, that depends on the requirements one has for software. I for one would
not
choose any tool if I had not been able to evaluate those things that I would
be
using the tool for.

I agree that very detailed API knowledge may not be required but on the
other hand:
if I could choose between a tool that I could evaluate in full (and thus
have a reasonable
idea of what to expect in the future) for a limited time and a tool that I
could partially test
I'd go for the tool that I could test in full (provided it passed the test,
of course).

Just my $0.02,

Michiel