> In order to clarify issues: I have to use FOP in an environment
> which already provides logging, configuration management and life
> cycle management. I don't want to look into another log file. I
> don't want to write more config files. (There is also the fact
> that said environment goes to great length to make augmenting
> already provided functionality as complicated as possible). I have
> already customized ErrorListeners, URIResolvers and such and i
> want to reuse the functionality in the most straightforward way
> possible. I don't want to write more customizations just for the
> Apache logkit. In particular, i don't want to learn how to write
> such customizations.
>
> I don't want to prevent anyone from providing a FOP embedding
> using logkit and avalon. I *want* however access to a core which
> doesn't rely on yet another toolkit for common functionality and
> fits as seemlessy as possible into a run time environment roughly
> equivalent to the JDK 1.4 API (with emphasis on JAXP 1.1).

Ok, I think that can be done, even when using Avalon in FOP. You propose
(I think) that we could provide an Avalon-Wrapper around FOP, but it
could also be the other way around. I'm sure that Avalon will not stand
in the way if we provide a simple interface similar to what you proposed.

Logging: As Nicola said, Avalon's logger-independent Logger interface
easily handles some of your concerns about JDK 1.4.
org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Jdk14Logger already exists, for
example.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 41 317 20 20 - Fax +41 41 317 20 29
Internet http://www.outline.ch