Hi All,

Not sure where to start with all this...

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 08:34, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Yes, for peripheral components (PDF lib, fonts etc.).

That is one of the main problems with the old code, these components are
all linked together in bad ways, making it hard to improve and deal with
improvements to any particular part.
So work on the old code really means using the new code if these are to
be considered separate components.

> I fully agree with you. That's why I mentioned my employer who actually
> understands the reasons for the redesign and looks forwards to FOP 1.0,
> but thinks that there are certain issues that have to be dealt with
> right now. That's why I'm going to look at multithreading issues in the
> maintenance branch this week. If we had enough resources (like in
> Jakarta Tomcat, XML Xerces and XML Xalan, where they maintain/maintained
> two or more dev tracks at once) I wouldn't mind a two-track-approach.
> But in our situation I tend to force the redesign so we can deliver FOP
> 1.0 as soon as possible. I'm grateful for Victor's work and I hope it
> won't be a distraction. Because distractions may leave the focus of
> potential co-developers on the maintenance branch even though the
> redesign is already quite advanced.

I'm wondering how advanced it really needs to be before anyone wants to
work on it. It is almost suitable to be used with the docs that forrest
creates.

I understand your particular situation and the required things for
production.

Keiron.