On 04 Nov 2002 10:05:06 +0100 Keiron Liddle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Not sure where to start with all this...
>
> On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 08:34, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Yes, for peripheral components (PDF lib, fonts etc.).
>
> That is one of the main problems with the old code, these components are
> all linked together in bad ways, making it hard to improve and deal with
> improvements to any particular part.
> So work on the old code really means using the new code if these are to
> be considered separate components.

Thanks for filling the white spots I left with my answer.

> > I fully agree with you. That's why I mentioned my employer who actually
> > understands the reasons for the redesign and looks forwards to FOP 1.0,
> > but thinks that there are certain issues that have to be dealt with
> > right now. That's why I'm going to look at multithreading issues in the
> > maintenance branch this week. If we had enough resources (like in
> > Jakarta Tomcat, XML Xerces and XML Xalan, where they maintain/maintained
> > two or more dev tracks at once) I wouldn't mind a two-track-approach.
> > But in our situation I tend to force the redesign so we can deliver FOP
> > 1.0 as soon as possible. I'm grateful for Victor's work and I hope it
> > won't be a distraction. Because distractions may leave the focus of
> > potential co-developers on the maintenance branch even though the
> > redesign is already quite advanced.
>
> I'm wondering how advanced it really needs to be before anyone wants to
> work on it. It is almost suitable to be used with the docs that forrest
> creates.

The fact that we started to get a few patches for the redesign after our
discussions in August is already a good sign.

> I understand your particular situation and the required things for
> production.

Yeah, I'd be grateful if the situation was different. At least, it looks
like I will be able to work on the redesign soon. For how long and if
I'm going to get paid for it I'm still trying to check out.

Jeremias Maerki