On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 20:44, Kevin O'Neill wrote:
> I'm talking about specific user driven contexts. For instance as the
> designer I may know that I repeat the use of a image in several
> locations throughout the document, say it's a graphic I use at the start
> of a paragraph. It would be nice to be able to add an attribute like
> fop:cache=true to the element including the image to provide a hint to
> the renderer that this image will be reused.

If it is just an image it does this already with (normal) XObject.
What use case would you have were it is not cached for the same image
(url) in the same document. We had a discussion recently and the
concensus was that you wouldn't need to specify caching for images.

If you mean a collection of PDF markup things then it could be a case
for Form XObject.
For the slide show thing I just wrapped the fo in an xml element which
converts to wrapping the area with a special area that the renderer can
pickup and place the contents in a Form XObject.

> The static regions are probably another area where we can use xforms
> though we would need to be careful of the more dynamic elements like
> page numbers.

Hopefully layout managers can deal with this in a nice way.

> -k.
>
> ps: I'm also using (and planning to extend my use of) the FOP PDF
> component externally to xsl:fo, so I'm interesting in adding features
> that may not be specifically relevant to fo but very relevant to it's
> usage as a PDF library.

Understood.