--- Arnd Beißner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Glen Mazza wrote:
>
> > So the XSL-FO spec--which FOP is trying to
> implement
> > for as many output types as possible--is not
> relevant
> > for those output types which don't need to know
> glyph
> > size?  By putting it into a separate tool, that is
> > what you may be implying.
>
> In a way, that's true. You need control over glyph
> placement (and, of
> course, lines, area, etc.) if you want to do a
> conforming implementation.
> I don't think you will be able to reach even basic
> conformance with output
> types HTML,  RTF and MIF -

We don't do HTML at all (Xalan's department)-- HTML is
browser dependent.  HTML is not an output format.

I don't know MIF, so can't comment on it.

w/RTF, "as for reaching even basic conformance"--my
impression on XSL-FO was that we must render up to the
maximum capabilities of the output format.

So where there is an FO object or property that RTF
simply can't support, this would *not* mean (1) we're
incompliant with the XSL-FO spec w.r.t. the RTF
rendering, or (2) that RTF cannot done via an XSL-FO
input.

> To summarize my view on this: FO->RTF, FO->MIF,
> FO->HTML is a conversion
> between similar high-level-languages where each
> language element has a
> similar corresponding language element in the
> destination language.

> FO->PDF, FO->PostScript, FO->PCL, FO->AWT are
> formatting processes.

I think the "binary" of PDF is also human-readable,
just like RTF is, albeit it's more complex and has
much more functionality.  It appears that the main
difference between the two groups is back to some
needing page numbering and others not.

> How about seeing things from this perspective:
> transformation of XSL:FO to
> RTF, MIF and HTML could be done using an XSLT
> stylesheet (provided that
> you create a trivial XML representation of RTF and
> MIF first, of course).

Certainly with HTML, it's done all the time; I suspect
you're also correct with RTF.